These darker days of winter are mirrored in some dark days for our country, the Earth, and it’s awesome array of beings. In Buddhism, there is a teaching that says the ten thousand joys and the ten thousand sorrows exist side by side, and we are asked to embrace it all.
For me, you are one of those ten thousand joys. Even if we haven’t been in touch for a while, you hold a place in my heart. Even if we do not yet know each other, the fact that you follow “Begin Within”, I know you are there, caring for our beloved world as best you can, and knowing that brings me happiness.
I am often buoyed by music and poetry. Sustained really. So I’m sending you a bouquet of songs that have brought me light over the years.
- Melanie DeMore, an incredible performer and choral leader, sings the soulful lullaby, “Sending You Light.”
- Eva Cassidy, a pure, clear voice, who died of cancer when she was 33 and unknown, sings “What a Wonderful World.”
- A Plum Village ensemble sings Sr. True Vow’s haunting and deep “Holy.”
- Playing for Change’s rendition of “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” by Bobby McFerron, with musicians from all over the world.
- “All Nations Rise”. Beautiful, unity song by Indigenous woman, Lyla June
- Karim Sulayman, Arab American, blindfolded, inviting hugs in front of Trump Intern’l Hotel; “I Trust You,” with Sinead O’Conner singing “In This Heart” over the video. You might want the tissue box nearby.
- “We are Rising” sung by Taina Asili, for the global movement for women’s liberation called “One Billion Rising,” begun by Eve Ensler years ago. Powerful and inspiring.
You might like to devote a half hour to listening to them all, or savor them one by one. They come to you with lots of love and gratitude. Happy New Year!
P.S. Please smile if you receive this more than once. Thanks.